As experts in staffing since 1996, we believe in enhancing workplace connections by introducing top quality candidates to our top-notch clients all while creating career opportunities that are both positive and fulfilling. We currently have an excellent opportunity for a full time permanent Continuous Improvement Specialist.
ABOUT the Organization
Our client is a food manufacturing and distribution facility. Established in 1967 as a private enterprise with a primary focus on nuts, growing into a prominent player in the North American food industry remaining 100% Canadian owned and operated with headquarters in Mississauga, Ontario. Operating with two sophisticated processing plants and distribution centres in Mississauga, Ontario and Calgary, Alberta, and sales offices in major cities across Canada.
ABOUT the Position
The Continuous Improvement Specialist works with leadership using continuous improvement methodologies to identify, develop and implement improvement initiatives and systems across all departments. The Continuous Improvement Specialist also acts as operational support for the Production Supervisor and the Production Scheduler.
The perfect candidate will have a positive attitude and be confident in their communication capabilities to navigate difficult conversations with a positive spin. Ultimately acting as the cheerleader for the organization with a contagious approach that inspires others to see the importance of continuous improvement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Key job functions are:
• Develop and own local continuous improvement programs.
• Develop communication strategies to support change management.
• Ongoing auditing of the Standard Work (SW) and Leader Standard Work (LSW) procedures for Machine Operators, Production Lead Hands, and Supervisors.
• Ongoing coaching and assessment of Daily Management System (DMS) processes and tools following through on SW, LSW, and visual management tools with all roles in the organization.
• Analyze Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to determine areas where improvement is necessary and to determine the priorities and methodologies for improvement.
• Perform and train associates and leaders in an effective Root Cause Analysis process.
• Design, execute, and analyze statistically sound experiments.
• Create, lead, and facilitate improvement activities and events.
• Assist in developing, documenting, and cataloguing SW and work instructions.
• Assist in the development of job specific training and validation requirements.
• Support improvement in existing processes including eliminating variation and non-value-added work.
• Train, coach, and mentor other employees on the principles of Continuous Improvement.
• Weekly generation of a summary report for the focused performance improvement line highlighting OEE% and top downtimes within the week.
• Lead weekly meeting with Supervisors, Production Lead Hands, Maintenance, Warehouse, and Operators on specific performance improvement line to build understandings on how to create positive results.
• Flexible shift support for data collection and position vacation coverage.
• Supervise and coordinate activities of machines operators, roasters, General Labourers, Material Handlers, and Lead Hands during Supervisor vacation coverage.
• Maintain production schedule during scheduler vacation coverage.
• Follow GMP’s, HACCP, and Health and Safety policies.
• Other duties as assigned
Skills & Requirements
• Education and/ or Experience – Bachelor’s degree in engineering, sciences, or business and/ or equivalent experience in a similar role; 5 – 10 years of experience within automotive, pharma, or food processing with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in Continuous Improvement; formal training in Lean, Six Sigma, or TPM methodologies. Working knowledge of operations management; Experience working in a unionized background an asset; Ability to organize and manage projects and people with positive results.
• Language Skills – English reading, writing and comprehension required. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate and lead diverse groups and leaders in project work and change management; Communicate ideas and information in an effective manner by listening, demonstrating, understanding, readily sharing information, and keeping appropriate parties up to date.
• Mathematical Skills – Ability to understand, accurately record perform simple mathematical calculations – addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
• Reasoning Ability – Strong technical and analytical skills, including ability to identify and manage data, execute quality control, build Excel models, and draw correct business insights and implications (Statistical analysis); Identify root causes of problems and develop solutions; Understand how individual decisions and actions impact the needs of the department as well as overall corporate goals; strong facilitation and problem-solving skill set.
• Computer Skills – Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Work, Outlook, and Minitab as well as continuous improvement tools is required.
• Physical Demands – Standing/ walking the entire shift. Bending, reaching, and climbing stairs at times. Frequently lifting and/or moving up to 25 lbs, occasionally lifting over 40 lbs to heights at waist level and moving/ pushing/ pulling 50 – 100lbs with assistance or equipment such as a pallet jack.
• Work Environment - Continuous and constant noise that is above 80dBA (loud). Hearing protection is mandatory and will be provided; annual hearing tests are completed. Above normal temperatures during summer months. Some exposure to airborne particles within allowable limits.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
• Customer Service – Responds internal customer requests for service and assistance,
• Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of the team above own interests; Ensures teams are communicating by building an environment of collaboration, partnership, and trust.
• Ethics – Treats people with respect; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values; Works in support of the vision, mission, and core values.
• Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; Supports organization’s goals and values.
• Professionalism – Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
• Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Monitors own work to ensure quality objectives are met.
• Quantity – Meets and/ or exceeds productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity.
• Safety & Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly; aware of surroundings; Standard First Aid/ CPR trained is considered an asset.
• Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events; Able to work alternative shifts as business requires; Able to travel as required.
• Attendance/ Punctuation – Is consistently at work and at their workstation on time.
• Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to direction, takes responsibilities for own actions, reports errors and concerns, keeps commitments, commits to long hours of work for needs of the business, completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
• Initiative – Take initiative to understand and produce results aligned to department priorities and accept responsibility for performance and results.
ABOUT the Compensation
This position offers a comprehensive compensation package with a salary of $70-75k per year.
ABOUT the Next Steps
We encourage all qualified candidates to consider this excellent opportunity, but please note only those with directly aligned experience will be contacted for an interview.
If you are interested and qualified, please apply today!